A WASTE OF BREADTH

People waste many things — time, money, talent, food (one way or another) — but I think the saddest waste of all is the mind. You probably do too — especially when you stop to think how mindless all those fools are who disagree with what you think. I believe it was Ivan Vasilyevich who first said A mind is a terrible thing to waste, the wisdom of which so impressed his comrads that he became forever famous as Ivan the Terrible (apparently he did not suffer fools gladly).

So, it should be clear from the above that almost all waste can be controlled if we but set our minds to it. If you’re sitting around on your ass just wasting away, there is simply no excuse for it. Remember, mind over matter –it’s the only way to go if you want to get ahead, if you will. If you won’t, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I hope I have inspired you to get a grip and stop squandering away your life, of which you have but one to live, unless you have faith in reincarnation. Even so, there’s no telling what you might come back as — a curably dying Christian Scientist, for example – so why take a chance? If you don’t believe me, perhaps you’ll listen to the testimony of these waste not, want not-ers:

I spent 90% of my money on wine, women and song and just wasted the other 10%. –Ronnie Hawkins

A day without laughter is a day wasted. –Charlie Chaplin

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. –Bertrand Russell

The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life. –Muhammed Ali

If I don’t learn something every single day, it’s a wasted day. –Leonard Lauder

A Congressman’s idea of government waste is the money spent in another Congressman’s district. -Evan Esar

 I wasted time, and now doth time waste me. –William Shakespeare

I wish I could stand on a busy street corner, hat in hand, and beg people to throw me all their wasted hours. –Bernard Berenson

 

Advertisements

8 comments on “A WASTE OF BREADTH

  1. arekhill1 says:

    Or my personal observation on time wasted, “If life is so short, why do we spend it doing the same things over and over?”

    Like

  2. mistermuse says:

    Good question. I’ve watched “Groundhog Day” over and over and still keep coming back for more.

    Like

  3. paulwhitberg says:

    I’ve always loved the quote from Shakespeare, but the wonderful one from Ali is new to me.Thanks for sharing!

    Like

  4. mistermuse says:

    If I had seen that quote unattributed, I wouldn’t have guessed it came from Ali. It’s good to see that he grew into that wisdom as he’s aged.

    Like

  5. Thom Hickey says:

    Thanks enjoyed the telling quotes. Will investigate archives. Regards Thom at the immortal jukebox.

    Like

  6. mistermuse says:

    Thom, If you’re looking for a theme song for your blog, give a listen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK72A_eV8Lg

    Like

  7. Don Frankel says:

    Muse if I didn’t waste my time what would I do with it?

    Like

  8. mistermuse says:

    I don’t have an answer for that, Don — maybe Dr. Don could tell you.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s